Thursday, October 2, 2008

You are my destiny

I had to go to a continuing legal education class this week so I asked the wife for one of her books to read.  She gave me a book called The Alchemist.
 
When I got home from my class, I said, "That was one of the worst books I have ever read.  Supermarket philosophy.  Yeah, follow your destiny!  Everyone finds out what their destiny is when they are a child!  When you follow your destiny, the whole universe helps you out!  Follow the omens!  What a crock of bullshit.  Ever since I was a kid, the whole universe has been against me.  The universe conspires to crush you, not help you out.  And when I was a kid I thought my destiny was the be the next DJ for Run DMC.  I guess I could do that since their DJ is dead now, but I really don't think that is my destiny.  I can't believe you liked that book.  It could have be written by the Care Bears in cloud village where everything always works out.  I should burn that book instead of giving it back to you."
 
She just ignored me.  Then I asked, "Why did you marry such an asshole?"