Thursday, October 4, 2007

But I got tossed, he’s the boss

When I was a kid, some of my relatives used to give me savings bonds for my birthday.  I didn't really know what they were, but my parents assured me that they were very nice presents and that they would be worth a lot of money some day.

Immediately after I got a bond, my parents confiscated it and hid it.  They said I wasn't smart enough to hold on to them until I needed them. 

Of course, I never saw them again. 

Yesterday while talking to my mom on the phone, she said that she found a bunch of my savings bonds in her basement.

"Great!", I said, while thinking that it would have been actually great if she had found them when I  was completely broke in law school.  "Set them aside for me.  I'll take the family out to dinner this weekend."
 
"Oh," she said seriously, "I don't know if I can just give them to you.  I'll ask your father."
 
So to recap: I'm thirty years old and married, and my parents still think I can't handle the responsibility of a savings bond.