Monday, October 29, 2007

Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner

This past weekend the wife said we could do anything I wanted since it
was my birthday. "Eat," I said. "I just want to eat all day."

We had brunch at Shopsin's which is known for an insane menu ("slutty
pancakes"?) and a chef who walks through the restaurant cursing at
patrons and the staff (which consists of his children). I had the
sliders which were all-around amazing, and the blue cheese & apple
milkshake, which wasn't.

Notable conversation:
Fresh: This says "blue cheese" on the beverage menu. Is that a blue
cheese & apple milkshake?
Waitress: Yeah.
Fresh: Ok, I'll have that.
Waitress: Really?

For dinner, we went to Daniel which was voted as the best restaurant
in the city in Zagat '08. The number of flavors that they throw into
a single meal were astounding, but nothing was better than the porcini
& ricotta ravioli with sherry foam.

The wife's favorite part was when the waiter set an ottoman next to
her chair for her to place her purse on. My favorite part was when I
noticed that the young man pouring the water was wearing a Movado
watch.

Notable conversation:
Waiter: Is this your first time dining with us?
Fresh: Yes.
Waiter: Where are you from?
Fresh: Staten Island.
Waiter: Then why is this your first time?
Fresh: Well, we're big fans of Cafe Boulud and we followed Carmellini
to A Voce --
Waiter: Very good, sir.