Sunday, November 2, 2008

I hid behind anger, held back the tears



Over the weekend, my lovely wife took me to a super-fancy Greek restaurant called Anthos for dinner. The food was amazing. I think I was introduced to a dozen flavors that I had never tasted before. I am almost certain that I will return for the smoked octopus and I may try to learn how to make hilopita at home.

The coffee was a different story. It was served with a teaspoon of mastic in a cup of ice water. I was instructed to lick the mastic for sweetness after each sip of coffee. I thought this would be as weird as my night would get.

While we were putting on our coats, a gentlemen who was coming into the restaurant held the door open for us as my wife readied herself. As we walked out, I thanked the gentleman and said, "Thanks. OhmyGod, it's Lewis Black! Thanks, Lewis Black!" He smiled and said, "Hey, have a good night" as he entered the restaurant. I think that was weirder than the coffee.