Thursday, October 9, 2008

I've been there, I've done that

In every new class of lawyers, there's an old guy.  When I started out with a bunch of kids in their early twenties, G-Man was the old guy.  He was in his forties and possessed a confidence and wisdom that the kids didn't have.  He didn't take anything too seriously.  Of course, he was my favorite person in our class.
 
The next year when my buddy Fluff started out in the firm, Pink was the old guy.  To this day, I've never seen someone capable of exuding the most innocent, childlike charm one second and say the filthiest, most disgusting thing the next second.  We all loved him. 
 
Yesterday at my new job, I showed up for a training session with all of the new hires.  Every one of them is under 25 except for me.  I'M the fucking old guy.  But I'm not charming or wise.  I'm suddenly feeling a lot of pressure.  I don't think I'm up for the job.