Friday, October 10, 2008

It's the freakin' weekend baby

When I was a second-year associate, I was working on a patent for a steel plate that is used to hold together broken bones.  I remember working on it all weekend and bringing it to the senior associate for review on Monday morning, which happened to be Columbus Day.  The staff was off, but most of the lawyers were at work.
 
As the senior associate flipped through my draft, he said, "I wish I was one of those assholes who actually didn't come to work on these bullshit holidays." 
 
Well, now I'm one of those assholes.  Yesterday, I looked up a list of our holidays at my new job.  For the first time in my life, I'm getting a three-day weekend for a meaningless holiday!  And we get off election day!  We even get off on Lincoln's birthday, even though I have no idea when that is.  I'll have to make a cake for Lincoln.